Cold Brew Caramel Macchiato
Here's what you need:
- ½ cup sugar (I used brown)
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup plant-based milk (I used oat)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- handful of ice
- about ½ cup cold brew concentrate (made from 1 Original Blend Cold Brew packet)
- 1 cup of plant-based milk
Making the Concentrate
- The night before you get your cold brew concentrate steeping, put one BrewBike cold brew packet in a mason jar, or any vessel you make your cold brew in (CS will give this a cinnamon dolce vibe). Instead of the normal 12oz add just 8oz of water per packet to create a more concentrated brew to mimic the construction of a classic macchiato.
- After about 12 hours, take the packets out and set your brew aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the sugar and water in and give it a gentle stir and then put the spatula down and don’t stir until it’s time to add the milk! Otherwise, the sugar will crystallize and the caramel won’t be smooth.
- Bring the sugar and water up to a boil and then let it simmer on a medium to low heat until the sugar is a deep amber color and the water has evaporated. It should look like a thick syrup and it coats the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly pour in the milk and vanilla while stirring constantly. It’ll start to bubble up to the top of the pan. If it looks like it’s about to overflow, you can just move it off the heat until it subsides before returning it to the heat.
- While stirring, let the caramel simmer until thickened and let it cool.
- Drizzle the caramel on the rim of the glass and let it drip down the sides and pool on the bottom.
- Add ice and milk and pour your cold brew on top. Put as much or as little as you’d like depending on how strong you want the coffee flavor to be! Add a little caramel on the top to finish and that’s it!
Esther Cai is a barista/brewer at the University of Miami where she is going into her sophomore year. She’s majoring in Ecosystem Science and Policy with a double minor in math and sustainable business. She is an avid nap taker despite her caffeine addiction and loves baking for her friends. Follow her on Instagram at @esthercaii.